Wall Takes Over as Football Head Coach

Travis Hayes, Staff Writer

Jeptha Wall was promoted from defensive coordinator to Crowley High School athletic director/head football coach for the 2017-18 school year after the departure of Joshua Fontenot to Southside High School in Youngsville.

Seniors Cole Simon and Perry Myles Jr. both said they were “excited” when they learned that Wall was taking over the football program.  “I knew that things had to change and this was a change for the better. Coach Wall does what has to be done, and he is to the point. His coaching style is more focused and disciplined,”said Simon.  “What I like best about his coaching is the intensity he brings,” stated Myles.

Wall, 45, who has also been the head track coach for five years, is in his sixth season with the Gents and 21st overall.  He also teaches physical education.

Wall explained his role as athletic director.  “I oversee all athletic programs and coaches.”

Wall also mentioned why he will not discourage students from participating in more than one sport.  “Each sport can contribute to the others, that is why we encourage all students to get involved in as many sports as possible. A great deal of recruiters are now looking for multi-sport athletes,” Wall noted.

He said he doesn’t just rely on just a few players to be leaders.  “I always want all team members to be leaders. They will need these life skills.”

He guided the football team to an 8-5 record and a Class 3A quarterfinal appearance.

Simon mentioned his favorite game from the season.  “The awesome speech coach Wall gave after the second round playoff game against Iowa.”

Wall asserted, “Thank you to all Crowley High teachers, administrators, staff, and students for making 2017 football and volleyball seasons such a huge success.  Hopefully we can continue this throughout all athletic programs in the winter and spring sports.”

During the football season, Wall also had his 11-year-old son Zeke as one of his ball boys. “It’s great having Zeke on the sidelines with me and being able to experience it with him.”

Simon and Myles felt that the team played better under Wall. “Everyone is fighting for the team, instead of for themselves.”   “The attitude of the team was much better,” said Myles.

Both seniors wish they would have had Wall as head coach for more than one season.  “I feel that our team could have done big things with him as our head coach,” Myles mentioned.  Simon stated, “Coach Wall was a great leader to me, and l will always appreciate him and all he does.”

Wall, who currently lives in Egan, graduated from Welsh High School in 1991.  Growing up he played football and track. He added, “We were fortunate to compete at a high level in all of our sports seasons at Welsh.  We were very successful in football, basketball, and track.”

He also admitted he wasn’t a good athlete, but he was educated in all.

He graduated from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science in physical education.  Along with graduating for McNeese in 2006. He was a walk-on on the McNeese football team. He was mainly a practice body.

Wall was influenced by his father, Louisiana Hall of Fame coach Dutton Wall, who won 247 high school football games, to become a football coach.  The elder Wall passed away on Dec. 31 at the age of 78.

“My father coached for 48 years, I’ve always been around it,” Wall explained.  My father was my inspiration. I knew I wanted to start coaching when I was in my second year in college.” So, Wall switched from pre-physical therapy to physical education.

Wall has been married to Lee Ann Wall for 19 years, and they have two kids; Regan, 14, and Zeke, 11.

Wall also spent four years in Iota (two years as head coach) and 11 in Church Point.