Crowley High Selects Babineaux as Student of the Year

Photo courtesy of Morgan Babineaux
Senior Morgan Babineaux shows her Crowley High spirit. Babineaux was chosen as the 2019-20 CHS Student of the Year.

Andy Hebert, Sponsor

Crowley High School senior Morgan Babineaux capped her final year by being selected as the 2019-20 Student of the Year.

Babineaux, who finished with a 3.96 grade-point average and ranked fifth in her class, explained how she found out the news.  “Mr. Pinac (senior advisor) saw me in the hallway, and when he told me, we skipped down the hallway,” she recalled.

“When I first found out I was honored, I couldn’t believe I had won and couldn’t wait to tell my family,” she said.  “I told my mom first, and she was very proud.”

She is the 17-year-old daughter of Hannah Richard and Chet Babineaux.

Babineaux, who also won the award in fifth grade, expressed her feelings by saying, “Being recognized makes me feel proud, and it makes me feel like all of my hard work was worth it.”

Senior Morgan Babineaux poses for the camera.

During her time at Crowley High, Babineaux served as Key Club president, French Club vice-president, and band drum major this year. She also previously served as the field captain and trumpet section leader for the band.  “Key Club and band have been my favorites because I am the most passionate about them.”

She explained what it was like to be a drum major.  “It  requires  a lot of authority and responsibility, but it was so rewarding getting to watch and help the band improve.”

Babineaux, who plays baritone and trumpet, has been in the band since she attended Crowley Middle School.  “I have met some lifelong friends, learned so many valuable lessons, and made countless memories in the band.”

Babineaux attended many competitions as a member of the band, but she said her favorite was the district marching festival at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Babineaux was also a member of the Acadia Parish Honor Band for five years.  “It was a great experience, and I met lots of people and learned many new things.”

Babineaux was named to the 2019 CHS Homecoming Court.

Morgan Babineaux leads the band at the 2019 International Rice Festival. Babineaux was named the 2019-20 Student of the Year. (Photo courtesy of Morgan Babineaux)

This year, Babineaux was also given the Daughters of the American Revolution award the Director’s Award in the band.  As a junior, Crowley Masonic Lodge 243 presented her with the Honesty and Integrity Award, and she was awarded the John Phillips Sousa Award in the band.

She also placed third in English IV in the District Literary Rally to qualify for state.  Unfortunately, the competition was canceled because of the Coronavirus pandemic

Babineaux stated that math teacher Charlies Freed was her favorite.  “He really does care about his students and is overall a great teacher.”

She also stated that she has grown close to Counselor Allyson Schexnayder.  “She has helped me get through some really tough times and taught me to always keep my head up.”

Morgan Babineaux represents Crowley High on the 2019 Homecoming Court. Babineaux was named 2019-20 Student of the Year. (Photo courtesy of Morgan Babineaux)

Babineaux and the rest of the 2020 senior class saw the school year come to an unexpected end on March 13 because of the Coronavirus pandemic.  They lost out on Prom, the traditional last days of school, and graduation was almost canceled.  “The worse parts have been seeing how upset my friends were when school got canceled,” she mentioned.  “As seniors, this is our last year, and a very important part of it has been taken from us.”

Graduation, originally scheduled for May 14 in the Boys Gym, was rescheduled for May 23 at Gardiner Memorial Stadium so that the Coronavirus social distancing guidelines could be maintained.

Babineaux will attend McNeese State University Lake Charles and major in pre-chiropractor sciences.  She will also be in the Pride of McNeese Marching Band.