Garrett Signs with Choctaws

Crowley+High+quarterback+Marquis+Garrett+signed+a+National+Letter+of+Intent+to+play+football+for+Mississippi+College+Choctaws.+Also+on+hand+was+his+mother%2C+Natalie+Dugar.+

Crowley High quarterback Marquis Garrett signed a National Letter of Intent to play football for Mississippi College Choctaws. Also on hand was his mother, Natalie Dugar.

Andy Hebert, Sponsor

Crowley High senior quarterback Marquis Garrett recently signed a National Letter of Intent to continue his football career with the Mississippi College Choctaws beginning in the fall.

Mississippi College is a private Baptist college located in Clinton, Miss.  The Choctaws compete in NCAA Division II as part of the Gulf Coast Conference.

Garrett, 18, explained why he decided to sign with MC.  “It just felt like home,” he said.  “The players and coaches treated me like I was already a player on the roster, and (wide receivers) coach Edgar Weiser always kept in contact with me.  I appreciate him for that.”

He would like to play wide receiver for the Choctaws because “it’s my favorite position.”

Garrett, who graduated with a 3.4 grade-point average and made a 22 on the ACT, mentioned that he visited the school in the spring.  “I visited the school in mid-February.  I met with the coaching staff and some of the players there.”

He also knows a couple of his future teammates.  “A friend named Ryan Broussard (sophomore defensive back who prepped at North Vermilion High School) already attends the school, and my roommate will be (quarterback) Montaze Sam from Northwest High School.”

Garrett spoke about moving away from Crowley.  “I’m happy to be able to get away from home,” he stated.  “I’ve been in Crowley for 18 years.  It’s new and something I’m looking forward to.”

The 6-foot-4 Garrett, who also played basketball and ran track for Crowley High, was a three-year starting quarterback for the Gents.  He completed 97-of-172 passes for 1,340 yards and 14 touchdowns and ran for 423 yards and three touchdowns on 68 carries as a senior. He guided the Gents to the playoffs where they lost 37-36 in overtime to the Sterlington Panthers.  He was named first-team all-district, first-team all-parish, and honorable mention all-state.

As a junior, he threw for 1,810 yards and 26 touchdowns and ran for 284 yards and five touchdowns in helping Crowley High to a Class 3A regional appearance. He was named to the honorable mention all-district team.

Garrett, who was a wide receiver as a freshman and two games into his sophomore season, finished his second season with 11 touchdowns and 1,567 yards in helping CHS to the Class 3A quarterfinals.  

Crowley reached the quarterfinals with a come-from-behind 24-15 win over the second-seeded Iowa Yellowjackets.  The Gents trailed the Yellowjackets 15-0 before scoring 24 unanswered points.  Iowa also defeated Crowley 13-12 in the season opener.  “My favorite memory is coming back for the come-from-behind win against Iowa in the second round my sophomore year and getting revenge,” recalled Garrett.

Garrett had surgery in January to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder that he injured during the football season.  “(The injury) did affect me a lot.  Every game, it was popping out of place and hurting. (I) played through the tear not knowing it was that bad, but I didn’t want to go to the doctor because I knew my team needed me, and I knew it was going to lead to me having to sit out,” explained Garrett.  “No one wants to miss their senior year playing the sport they love, so I waited until after the season was over and had surgery.”

Garrett’s father, Marcus Shane Garrett, is a product of Crowley High who went on to play wide receiver collegiately for the Texas A&M Aggies and the NFL’s Cincinnati Bengals.

The younger Garrett emphasized the impact that his father has had on his athletic career.  “Tremendous.  He taught me everything I know.”

Garrett doesn’t feel added pressure because of what his father accomplished.  “(There’s) no pressure at all.  I know where I want to be in the future, and I know the sacrifices needed to get there.”

He offered advice to others who have dreams of playing college sports.  “Just grind, focus on that one common goal, and strive for it.  Never feel like you’ve done enough and do it for you,” he said.  “Don’t do it for others who can’t.  That’s a lot of pressure on yourself.  And, just have fun with it.  Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

Garrett had one final comment:  “Marquis Garrett Out, I WILL BE GREAT!”