Rogers Enjoys First Year Coaching, Teaching at Alma Mater

Catherine Campbell

CHS head coach Mercedes Rogers

Catherine Campbell, Staff Writer

Crowley High graduate Mercedes Rogers just recently returned to her alma mater in August to begin her coaching career. 

Rogers, 25, explained how she found out about the job. “Coach Jeptha Wall and coach Alton Allen called me about the position and I accepted.” 

Rogers was also an athlete at Crowley High, participating in volleyball, basketball, and track, but her favorite one was track because “it’s an individual sport.” 

She was named to both the first-team all-district in volleyball and basketball for her entire high school career. In track, she became a Class 3A triple jump state champion, and she also captured second place in the long jump. 

Her athletic talents allowed her to receive a scholarship from Mcneese State University where she earned her Bachelor of Science degree in sports medicine, and she also received her Master’s in criminal justice.

During her basketball career, she was able to travel overseas to foreign countries, mainly in Europe. There, she got the experience of coaching little kids.

Rogers didn’t imagine herself coaching at her alma mater. “I do find it easier, though, because I know most people here and how they act.” 

Andy Hebert
Martayshia Guidry attempts a spike.

Rogers, who is also the girls’ basketball assistant coach, reflected on her first year as the volleyball head coach.  “Though it had its ups and downs and it was a new team with a new coach, we got better during the season.”

Her favorite game was when the Ladies traveled to take on the Livonia Lady Wildcats on Oct. 22.  “We were down by two sets, but we fought back and won.” 

It was also a game the Ladies needed to win to make it to the playoffs. “The best part of the season is that we made the playoffs,” admitted Rogers. 

She also mentioned sophomore Martaysha Guidry was the team’s Most Valuable Player. “She had never played volleyball before, but she was really good and made first-team all-district.” 

Guidry stated how her impression of Rogers changed from the beginning of the season. “The first time I saw her, I thought she was a mean person, but when I got to know her, I realized she was a very nice person,” she said. “She is an outstanding coach. She made a difference by helping, not just me, but the team in many ways.”

Photo courtesy of CHS Yearbook
Khalee Meaux leads the rest of the Ladies in shaking hands against their opponent.

Sophomore Khalee Meaux, who knew Rogers before she became the CHS volleyball coach, agreed with Guidry. “She has made a difference this season by having us do team-building exercises, which helped us come together and play as a team,” she commented. “The team has improved their attitudes since she has been here.” 

Guidry had one final comment. “Thank you for everything you have taught me. I wouldn’t have made it this far without you.”