School Board Answers Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Coronavirus

Acadia Parish Public Schools is dedicated to protecting the health and well-being of our students and staff.  As a result, we would like to keep the public informed by providing this list of answers to frequently asked questions. This is an extremely fluid situation and this list will be updated as information becomes available. (Updated March 17, 2020)

Are you closing school? Governor John Bel Edwards issued an executive order closing all school facilities to students in Louisiana until Monday, April 13, as a precautionary measure against the transmission of the coronavirus. All Acadia Parish Public Schools will close to students, effective Monday, March 16, 2020 until further notice. 

Are all school events canceled? The current closure includes all APSB athletic events, school-related activities, planned and ongoing fundraisers, and events. No practices will be allowed at any facility. Cancellations remain in place until further notice. Campuses may be opened on a very limited basis for district approved activities such as meal distribution and medication pick-up. 

Are field trips and other scheduled trips canceled? All field trips and other scheduled trips during this statewide mandated closure are canceled. Staff professional development is also canceled until further notice. 

I am an APSB employee. Do I still report to work? School-based employees should not report to work until they receive further direction from their principals. Only designated, essential staff will be utilized during the closure. 

How can I help? We have received messages from the caring APSB community asking how they can help during this situation. At this time, the most helpful things to do include: sharing APSB updates with friends and family, following recommended CDC health practices, and, following APSB website and media channels for official information and updates. 

How will the students make up the weeks of missed school? APSB administration is evaluating the situation, reviewing the Governor’s proclamation, and working with BESE to make the best decisions for our district. We will continue to provide updates through the district website and media channels. At this time there is no final decision regarding the calendar for the current school year. 

Are we going to have to make these days up or will the school be extended? We are waiting on further guidance from the Louisiana Department of Education on the potential impacts on our school calendar. Once additional information becomes available, we will provide updates through the district website and media channels. At this time there is no final decision regarding the calendar for the current school year. 

During the school closure, are you going to offer educational and/or enrichment activities? APSB is working to provide optional educational resources for students during this time through our district website: www.acadia.k12.la.us. Click on the “Online Learning Resources” hyperlink for resources on English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science, Special Education and enrichment. No grades will be assigned. Please note that this is not required and will not take the place of the learning that happens in the classroom with a teacher on a daily basis. We will continue to update the website as more resources become available. We are waiting on the Louisiana Public Broadcasting television station to finalize televised learning by subject area and grade level; and, will provide updates as soon as possible. 

What if my student attends college classes (dual enrollment)? Students who are enrolled in dual enrollment college classes should follow the guidelines and instructions set by the college or university. 

How can I retrieve my student’s medications? APSB schools will be open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (March 18th – 20th) between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. for the purpose of medication retrieval. Schools will contact parents individually to inform of these dates and times. 

Are you providing meals for students during this school closure? APSB will provide “Grab and Go” lunches to students at a centrally located areas of the parish. Meals will consist of lunch for the day and breakfast for the next morning. Meals will be provided starting Wednesday, March 18, 2020. School sites for pick-up are as follows: Crowley Middle School, Armstrong Middle School, Church Point Elementary School, Iota High School, and Estherwood Elementary School. The hours for pickup are between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Meals are for citizens of the parish 18 years of age and under. Citizens do not need to get out of their vehicles. We ask that meals be picked up and that all exit the school campus. We will provide the meals Monday through Friday. 

Will volunteers be allowed to assist with our Child Nutrition Program meal distribution at the designated schools; and, can volunteers bring home-cooked meals to the schools for distribution? We appreciate the fact that volunteers have offered to assist in the distribution of grab and go meals; however, due to current COVID-19 restrictions, this is not allowed. We appreciate the fact that volunteers may want to provide home-cooked meals at the school distribution sites; however, due to COVID-19 restrictions this is not allowed. At this time we have adequate APSB Child Nutrition Program staff to handle this task. 

What about high school graduations? APSB will provide further guidance regarding graduation dates as soon as possible. As soon as this information is available, we will release it through our school and district websites. 

Will LEAP testing be rescheduled? It is our understanding at this time that the LA Department of Education (LDOE) and the LA Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) are working to seek waivers from the United States Department of Education for mandated testing. The LA Department of Education is also working to establish a number of waivers relative to school and district accountability due to the extended school closure. 

Will ACT testing be rescheduled? The LDOE has advised it is working with ACT to identify new dates for testing windows for the previously scheduled March 17, 2020 ACT test date, which is canceled due to the school closures. 

Will events like prom be rescheduled? Events like prom are a memorable experience for our students. Once a return date has been determined, we will evaluate the situation and work with high schools to consider options. 

What will happen with Pre K and Kindergarten Registration? Due to the school closures, we will be working to reschedule Pre K and Kindergarten registration dates. As soon as this information is available, we will release it through our district website. 

Is the Acadia Parish School Board District Office open for business? The Acadia Parish School Board District Office is closed to the public until further notice. Essential staff are available on a limited basis so that operations can continue. The parish Sales Tax Office will continue to receive payments online and at the mail slot located at the front door of the District Office in Crowley. Until further notice, all services normally provided by schools and/or the school system such as work permits, driver’s license-related documents, transcripts, etc. – are suspended.