Nelson Contributes to Alma Mater as Paraeducator, Assistant Coach

Latoya Nelson is in her 12th year as a Crowley High School  paraeducator.

Dwayne Petry

Latoya Nelson is in her 12th year as a Crowley High School paraeducator.

Aniyah Anderson, Assistant Sports Editor

Crowley High School graduate LaToya Nelson, also known as ‘Lil Bit’, returned to her alma mater as a paraeducator in 2007.

Nelson, 43, works with special education teachers Christian Doughty, Chad Credeur, and paraeducator Cynthia Breaux.

“I think it’s nice when alum comes back to their home school to contribute to its success,” stated Doughty, who has worked with Nelson for all 12 years.

She also worked as the girls’ basketball assistant coach for 11 years under head coach Alton Allen, and this year, she assisted new volleyball head coach Mercedes Rogers, also a CHS graduate.

Nelson explained how she got her nickname. “I got the name from my high school softball coach, coach Cindy Wiggly. She gave it to me because I was the smallest one on the team.”

Nelson also mentioned why people call her Lil Bit.  “A lot of people don’t know my real name. Lil Bit is the only name they know besides my classmates.”

Nelson also explained what being a paraeducator entails.  “I help the kids with everyday activities, such as hygiene, school work, and using the bathroom.”

Doughty mentioned that he enjoys working with Nelson, “She has a really good sense of humor and she cares a lot for the kids. She relates well to them.”

Doughty added, “She is a lot of fun. We laugh all day long.”

Breaux, who also has worked with Nelson for 12 years, explained that she also enjoys working with Nelson. “We work well together. She is very helpful in working with the students.” 

Breaux added a final comment. “ She is a great person in general. She always happy and cracking jokes.  I have enjoyed having her as my helper in the classroom. She is just an all-around great person.”

Nelson is a 1995 Crowley High School graduate. “I was a very quiet student, willing to learn, and ready to achieve goals,” stated Nelson.

During high school, she participated in basketball, softball, and track and field, but she excelled in softball. She was named first-team all-district for three years, first-team All-Acadia her junior and senior year, and first-team All-State as a junior.

She attended McNeese State University for one year before transferring to Louisiana State University at Eunice where she graduated with an Associate’s degree in general studies in 2007.

Prior to coming to work at Crowley High, Nelson worked at Acadia Parish Headstart as an aide, and she was a manager at P.J.’s Grill.

Nelson added, “I want to go back to school to get my Bachelor’s in education to be a special education teacher or an adapted physical education teacher.”