McCoy Joins Crowley High Staff as Business Teacher

Meagan McCoy is a new Crowley High School business teacher for 2018-19.

Dwayne Petry

Skye Wagers, Photo Editor

Crowley High faculty and students welcomed business teacher Megan McCoy for the 2018-2019 school year.

McCoy explained how she found out about the position. “Administration from a local high school knew I was looking for a job, so they put me in contact with Crowley High.”

She said that she is enjoying her time at CHS where she teaches digital media and yearbook.  “I do enjoy teaching here; I find both of my courses to be fun and both teach things that can be useful for students to know after high school.” 

McCoy added, “The best part about her job is seeing the moment the concept, skill, or idea ‘clicks’ with the student.  It’s also rewarding when students know the tools and methods well enough to help each other.”

McCoy believes her previous work experience helps her as a teacher.  “I am able to bring real world knowledge to the classroom,” she said. “My weakness is that I lose track of time easily and often don’t leave enough time to finish a lesson. I also try to see the best in people and end up giving students too many chances.”

McCoy described what she likes about teaching yearbook. “I like that we start with something blank and fill it with high school memories.  The yearbook is something that can never be duplicated because each year is different.” 

Senior Kaitlyn Bellard,17, who has been in yearbook for two years, stated that she enjoys McCoy’s class.  “The class is easy and everyone gets along. Mrs. McCoy is very easy going.”

Bellard admitted that the beginning of the year was difficult with a new yearbook  sponsor. “We had to explain how things worked and there were some things we didn’t know that we all had to figure out.”

Biology/agriscience teacher Krysta Benckenstein expressed how she feels about McCoy. ”She cares about the students and holds them accountable for their work,” stated Benckenstein.

Benckenstein explained why she likes to work with McCoy. “She is super nice and just fun to have a conversation with.” 

Benckenstein and McCoy met this year and became close friends because they just talked between classes and helped each other as needed. 

Benckenstein mentioned, “I think she fits well in the Crowley High School faculty and she has the cutest little girl.”

McCoy, 26, was influenced to become a teacher because both of her parents are teachers. “Growing up, I saw what an exciting and rewarding career it is. At a young age, I knew that I wanted to be a teacher.”

During her time at Eunice High School, she was a member of the Student Council, National Honor Society, Peer Leaders, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and the Library Club.  She also played softball all four years.

McCoy earned both a bachelor and a master of science in biology from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

McCoy has been married to her husband Nick for four years, and they have been married for four years, they have one daughter.

She mentioned her favorite things to do.  “Spend time with my family and play co-ed softball.  I also enjoy reading and traveling.” McCoy also plays on an independent softball team.