Crowley High School Welcomes Kojis to Social Studies Department

Mary Beth Kojis teaches world and U.S. history at Crowley High School.

Dwayne Petry

Aniyah Anderson, Assistant Sports Editor

The Crowley High School faculty welcomed new world history and US history teacher Mary Beth Kojis to its 2018-19 staff.

Kojis, 45, expressed how she is enjoying her first year at Crowley High. “I have enjoyed meeting so many new students, learning everyone’s personalities and building relationships with my students that hopefully, have a positive impact.”

Kojis describes her typical day. “I usually try to get to school early, for about 6:15. I love the quiet mornings when I can come to my classroom and prepare for my day. First through fifth fly by! My seniors are strolling in the morning, still sleepy, so my mornings are quiet but everyone definitely starts to wake up as the day moves forward. Normally, for lunch, I stay in my classroom and meet with students, as well as my planning period. I also spend my time during my planning period working on lessons for the next day or working on my class notes.”

Sophomore Kenaria Hudson, who currently has an A in her class, explained how she enjoys Kojis’ teaching. “She takes her time and makes sure we know it. She always has her handouts for anyone who needs help.”

Hudson also mentioned how she likes Kojis’ teaching style, “She tries new ways to teach us.”

Co-worker Zachary Lejeune explained what it’s like working with her. “It is like working with someone you have known all your life, but you have only known them for a short while.”

Lejeune mentioned why he likes working with her. “She is like a cool mom on campus.”

Prior to coming to Crowley High, Kojis was a business, English, technical writing, and speech teacher at Ville Platte High School. Before teaching, she worked in sales and marketing for over 15 years.

Kojis was originally born in Bunkie, but she grew up in Baton Rouge graduated from St. Joseph’s Academy in Baton Rouge in 1991. She was a member of the Key Club, French Club, the Student Council, and was class treasurer.

She graduated from college in 2006 from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette UL-Lafayette with a degree in behavioral sciences.

Kojis is married to her husband Todd Kojis and they have three kids; Todd Jr., 22; Natalie, 20; and Tucker, 18.

On Kojis’ free time she likes to read, play tennis, work in her yard, and spend time with her family.