Broussard Reflects on High School Years

Back to Article
Back to Article

Broussard Reflects on High School Years

Kylie Broussard, 2016-18 Staff Writer

Crowley High, the school that has turned me into the person I am today. These hallways are filled with laughter and many memories that will last forever. CHS is one big family no matter what, even if we aren’t necessarily “friends”, we all see each other as a family, there is always someone who you can talk to, or make you laugh, or even just listen. Even when you don’t feel like you fit in there is always somewhere that you do.

Freshman year, we are nervous and tend to stay in our own little cliques because they are the people we know the most and that we feel more comfortable with. As the year goes on we get into a routine and the school days become easier to handle.  Sophomore year, we are more confident in ourselves and begin to venture out of our comfort zone. We are used to the same routine every day. Sophomore year seems like the longest year because you have already been there for a year and you have 2 more to go, it seems like a lifetime away but it comes in the blink of an eye.  

Junior year, we are one year away from becoming a senior. Our friend circle gets smaller. We start ordering our class rings and putting our hands on the wall to take the next step to becoming a senior.  Then finally, Senior year is here, we are excited because we are finally there, we finally are called the upperclassmen. Leaving school early because we only have a few classes. It finally sets in that we are about to graduate, our high school years are over and it came by quick, we walk through these halls one last time looking back on all the memories we’ve made that will stay with us forever as we all go our separate ways. We will always look back and remember the football games, schools dances, and being with our friends. 

Now that we graduated it is time for us to go our separate ways, to become lawyers, nurses, parents, oilfield workers and more, we will always look back on our Alma mater and wish our high schools days wouldn’t have gone by so fast.

Being a teen mom and living on my own was tough, but I did it all for my little girl. I was able to still finish high school top 40 of the class, maintain my grades and also keep up with her. Being a mom has allowed me to stay more focused to reach my goal because I am doing this for her. 

As a newspaper editor for 2 years, it has opened my mind to new things. It has allowed me to write in ways I didn’t know I could, meet new people and learn about their stories, and also challenge myself to do more. Because of journalism, essays became easy to me, talking to new people isn’t so challenging, it has allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone and see the world in a new way. 

As president of Synergy youth group for 2 years and on Conference Council Youth Ministries for 2 years, it allowed me to meet amazing people across the state of Louisiana, lead small groups and be a light for others. It allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and find who I really am.

To the class of 2019, congratulations, we did it! I hope you all follow your dreams and never forget where you came from! Forever green and gold.