Miller Recognized as CHS Student of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018-19 Crowley High School Student of the Year Marcy Miller

Kassie Schexnayder, Copy Editor

Crowley High School senior Marcy Miller has been named the 2018-19 Student of the Year.

Miller, who has a grade-point average of 3.8, explained that “being recognized makes me feel like all my hard work has been worth it.”

Miller, who also won the award in fifth grade, thinks she is more prepared this time.  “I am fully aware of what’s going on, so I will win the next round. I was very happy, but immediately, I thought, now I get a re-do on the interview, so I can win.”

Miller worked with bookkeeper Sherrie Bean as an office aide.  “Marcy is a tremendous help to me. She makes copies when needed, helps with items to be mailed, delivers paperwork to teachers and various other duties as requested,” Bean added.

Bean thought that Miller deserved the honor.  “She is very self-motivated and focused. She is not afraid to ask questions.”

She mentioned that she told Bean first about being named Crowley High School Student of the Year.  “We both jumped up and down like little kids.”

Miller shared her thoughts on this year.  “This year so far has been good. My favorite part has been enjoying all the ‘lasts’ of senior year with my friends.”

Lily Hoffpauir also gave her opinion about why her friend of 15 years deserved the recognition.  “I personally know how hard she works in school,” stated Hoffpauir. “I am very proud of her. She stays up late after games to get her work done and study.  She has a great work ethic and strives to do great.”

While in high school, Miller was in the National Honor Society for three years, the Future Farmers of America for two years, and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes for two years.

Miller also participated in volleyball, basketball, and softball for the majority of her years at Crowley High, but she also threw the javelin for track this year.

During her time at CHS, she was named to the All-District honorable mention and first teams in volleyball and the All-District honorable mention team in basketball.  She was chosen as the team’s Defensive Player of the Year two times in basketball, and as the Most Improved Player in softball.

She took English and history dual enrollment courses this year. “I think dual enrollment is easier than honors because everything is online, and that is a personal preference.”

Miller added that her favorite subject in school is math. “Mr. Freed is the best math teacher I’ve had.”

Hoffpauir recalled one of her best memories with Miller. “After we both had surgery, we spent countless hours studying for Freed’s unit circle test.”

Freed taught Miller calculus this year, but he also taught her geometry and advanced math.

Freed described Miller as “focused and hard-working.”  He also adds that he was not surprised that she was selected as the student of the year.  “She is a great student academically and extracurricularly.”

He added, “Marcy has been a pleasure to teach.”

Following graduation, Miller will attend the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for pre-pharmacy followed by the University of Louisiana at Monroe for pharmacy.

Hoffpauir added, “I just want to say I love you Marcy and I am so very proud of you. I wouldn’t want anyone else to be my best friend.”