Two Seniors Make Decision to Join Army

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two Seniors Make Decision to Join Army

Taren Adams, bottom left, attends an event with fellow Army National Guard enlistees and recruiter Sgt. Bryson Lyons, center.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Mariah Baker, Assistant Editor

Crowley High School seniors Taren Adams and Ashtyn Duplechin have enlisted in the U.S. Army to enhance their futures.
Adams, who enlisted on Jan. 23 in New Orleans, explained why she chose to join the Army. “(I wanted a) head start on life (and for) free college (tuition).”

Adams, 18, did not consider any of the other branches, although she had her father and uncle in the Army and another uncle and nephew in the Navy.

She said it was hard to tell her mom more than her dad that she joined.

Adams admitted her biggest supporters are her dad and recruiters. Her recruiter is Staff Sgt. Bryson Lyons.

Lyons, 30, who has been an Army recruiter for 12 years, mentioned how he thinks Adams will do in the Army.  “She has the will to accomplish what she sets out to do,” stated Lyons. “She is very flexible when it comes to changes.  Her adaptability will definitely give her a great advantage while in the Army!”

Adams, who will leave on May 28 from New Orleans to attend basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., explained how she is feeling.  “I’m anxious to get it over with.”

Following basic training, Adams will head to Fort Lee, Virginia for Advanced Individual Training to learn how to become an ammunition specialist (89 Bravo).

Adams explained what she is doing mentally and physically to prepare for the military.  “I’m doing PT (physical training) on Thursdays with my recruiter, intense workouts and studying,” she said.  “Everything is in my head when I’m working out.”

Adams believes her strengths are “determination (and) will-power.”

She has not decided if she will make this into a career.  “I’m not sure yet because I do want to go to college.”

Adams had one final comment:  “This pageant queen is soon to be in army green.”

Photo submitted
Ashtyn Duplechin, right, enlisted in the Army National Guard in February.

Duplechin, 18, who enlisted on Feb. 21, explained why she decided to join the military.  “I believe in protecting what others have fought so hard to protect. It wouldn’t be right for my brothers and sisters to put their lives on the line when I’m able to do the same.”

She also explained why she chose the Army.  “I joined the United States Army because I felt like with the Army, I finally found my purpose. I knew I wouldn’t find that anywhere else.”

She also admitted that she looked hard at another branch.  “I considered the Navy for the longest time, but I was more impressed by the Army and what it stands for.”

Duplechin had a great-grandfather in the Navy, an uncle who just retired from the Coast Guard, and a cousin who is currently in the Marines.

She said it was not difficult to tell her family about her decision.  “I’ve always had a very good system.”

Traci Spell, Ashtyn’s mother, has always been her biggest supporter.  “My mother has always supported my choices no matter what and that gave me confidence in myself to really push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of,” stated Duplechin.

Duplechin, who will leave on May 20 from New Orleans to attend basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., explained how she is feeling.  “I was a bit skeptical because I was worried I wasn’t ready. That’s why physical training is so important because they make sure you’re ready.  You’re not going into anything blind.”

Following basic training, Duplechin will head to Fort Lee, Virginia for Advanced Individual Training to learn how to become an automotive logistics specialist (92 Alpha).

Duplechin explained what she is doing mentally and physically to prepare for the military.  “Going to physical training every Thursday. The other future soldiers I train with have always pushed me and helped me get where I am today.  They make sure I’m self-motivated and prepared. Staff Sgt. Lyons has been really helpful with this process also.

“Taren Adams and I tend to help each other a lot. We are each other’s motivators.”

She also mentioned her strengths.  “I don’t like to quit. I like to see everything through.  If I’d quit, I wouldn’t sleep at night,” noted Duplechin. “I am a very adaptable person. Whatever needs to get done, will get done.”

Lyons gave his thoughts on how Duplechin will do in the  Army. “Ashtyn will without a doubt succeed in the Army. He can do attitude is definitely one of her strongest traits. That will propel her far during her service in the Army.  Having a can-do attitude will help her accomplish any goal she sets/”

Lyons also offered this advice to both of the girls. “Whenever it gets tough in basic training, just keep pushing. Always focus on what made you join and use that to propel you through your service,” he said.  “Last, but not least, don’t ever give up because you both have the potential to do great things while in the US Army.”