Lewis, Board Lead Young Gents in Tough District

Back to Article
Back to Article

Crowley head coach Jason Lewis talks to his team during a timeout against Eunice.

Andy Hebert

Andy Hebert

Andy Hebert

Maziah Zenon, Assistant Photo Editor

Three, two, one, time’s up! As the buzzer goes off, it’s time to look out for this year’s Crowley Gents basketball team. CHS head coach Jason Lewis is in his fifth season and returns only one starter from a team that went 29-6 overall, won the District 5-3A title at 12-2 and advanced to the Class 3A Quarterfinals as the 11th seed.

“This season will be up and down,” stated Lewis. “We are a very young team and loss some really talented seniors.”

The key losses from last year’s team are Josh Burnett, Ja’Colby Byers, Perry Myles Jr., and Donald Francis.

Despite the losses, Lewis has confidence in this year’s players.  “We will be able to compete this year.”

Junior Braeden Board, who can play small forward or power forward, is the only returning starter.  He was last year’s most improved player, and he led the team in rebounding.

Lewis explained what he is expecting from Board.  “Lead the team and step up in big games.”

Andy Hebert
Braeden Board (2) goes up for a jump shot in a recent game against Eunice.

Board also mentioned what his individual goals are  “To increase my scoring average, receive a D1 (division I) scholarship, and to get better as an individual.”

Lewis is also expecting a lot from sophomore point guard Bryan Montgomery, junior shooting guard Myson Francis, junior guard Noah Hayes, and junior center Marquarius Thorne.

The Gents began the regular season on Nov. 19 by playing in the Sacred Heart Tournament in Ville Platte.

They will once again play in District 5-3A with Church Point, Eunice, Iota, Mamou, Northwest, Pine Prairie, and Port Barre.

Lewis thinks the toughest teams in the league are Eunice, Iota, Northwest, and Pine Prairie, and he admitted he’s looking forward to playing “all of them.”

Board thinks Northwest and Eunice are the top teams in the league.  “They have a lot of athletes that are well-conditioned.”

Andy Hebert
Marquarius Thorne (24) drives to the basket in a recent game against Eunice.

Thorne, who has been a member of the Gents for 1 ½ years, also believes Northwest is a difficult team.

Lewis mentioned the team’s goals for the season.  “(Finish) top four in district and make the playoffs.  Keep our playoff streak going.” Thorne added, “I want us to make it far in the playoffs.”

Lewis explained what he thinks it will take for his team to be competitive in district.  “(They have to have a) never quit attitude! (They have to) trust their teammates and trust the process.”

The next district game home game is Jan. 18 when Crowley hosts Port Barre.  “We need more support from students, parents, and teachers at home games,” added Board.