Buller Joins Crowley High’s English Department

Annalise Matte

New CHS English teacher Shannon Buller is a graduate of Crowley High School.

Annalise Matte, Online Editor

Crowley High School opens its arms and gives a warm welcome to former CHS graduate James “Shannon” Buller, the school’s newest addition to the English department.

The 36-year-old Buller graduated from Crowley High School in 2001 ranked 15th in his class.

He has been wanting to teach at CHS since he graduated from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette in 2007. “I remember interviewing with Mr. (Steve) Duplechin (former CHS principal) a few years ago,” Buller explained. “I reached out to the administration for this position while teaching at Crowley Middle last year.”

He admits that his aunt, Jacki Daigle (former CHS bookkeeper), told him to contact Crowley High Principal Timothy Boudreaux and Assistant Principal  Alisha Fontenot, so he did.

Even though this is his first year at Crowley High, this is not Buller’s first time teaching students. He has taught either English language arts or business from 6th through 12th grade.

He has held teaching positions at many different schools, including David Thibodaux STEM Magnet Academy, Acadiana High, North Central High, N.P. Moss Middle, Acadian Middle, Armstrong Middle, and Crowley Middle.

Shannon Buller teaches his second hour English class and answers questions.

Buller, who is also the new Key club sponsor, shared what he enjoys about leading this organization. “Seeing students volunteer to help others without expecting anything in return.

“I also enjoyed organizing the blood drive and seeing the amount of participation we had.  I’m looking forward to the next one.”

Buller explained why he is  enjoying his first year teaching at Crowley High.“To begin with, I didn’t have lots of positive adults to look up to growing up. Nearly all of my role models were teachers; I’m blessed to be able to do what I enjoy doing with some people who inspired me to do this in the first place,” he admitted.  He wanted to give a shout out to English teacher Charlotte Cope, art teacher Renee DeBellevue, business teacher Peggy Ancelet, and the late science teacher Dr. Leo Amiot.

Buller, who claimed he is teaching “miniature adults” in English II and English III, mentioned how he tries to encourage creativity in the classroom. “I try and get student input and give choices whenever possible.”

Junior Charity Prettelt, 16, who is in Buller’s seventh hour English III Honors class, likes having him as a teacher. “I think his way of teaching is great.”

Prettelt, who makes A’s and B’s, admitted that her perception of him has changed from the beginning of the year.  “(I thought he was) a teacher that didn’t make much effort with teaching.”

Junior Morgan Babineaux, 16, is in Buller’s first hour English III class. She is also enjoying his class, but like Prettelt, she stated that her expectations were very different at the beginning of the year. “He seemed like a friendly guy, but to be honest, I expected his class to be boring.”

Babineaux, who makes A’s in Buller’s class, explained why she has changed her mind about her English teacher.  “I enjoy his way of teaching. He has taught me quite a bit so far, (and) I can’t wait to continue learning in his class.”

Buller, who currently lives in Lafayette, has been married to his wife, Laura, for a little over 11 years, and they have five children, James Jr., 10; Grant, 8; Zachary, 6; Madelyn-Kate, 4; and Alexander, 2.

“I love spending any free time I have with my family,” he said.  “I love to cook, especially for large groups of people.” He also likes to read, watch movies, play video games, and practice guitar.

Buller added  one final comment, “Cogito, Ergo Sum,” which comes from the Latin philosopher René Descartes, and it translates into English as, “I think, therefore I am.”