Eunice Upends Crowley with Last-Second Score

Crowley tight end Rapheus Joseph, left, helps to spring running back Obadiah Butler in Friday's contest against Eunice. Butler rushed for 171 yards.

Madison Navarre

Madison Navarre

From staff reports

In a see-saw battle, the Eunice Bobcats scored with seconds remaining to prevail with a 36-32 win over the Crowley Gents Thursday evening at Gardiner Memorial Stadium.

The loss dropped the Gents to 2-2 overall and 0-1 in district.

After Eunice struck first for a 7-0 lead with four minutes remaining in the opening quarter, Crowley responded when junior quarterback Marquis Garrett connected with senior tight end Rapheus Joseph for the 62-yard touchdown.

The Gents got the ball right back on the ensuing kickoff when Eunice fumbled the return, giving the Gents the ball at the Eunice 39.   Senior running back Jai’Rece Lewis gave the home team a 12-7 lead when he scored from one yard early in the second quarter.

Eunice, however, had the momentum for the remainder of the quarter, and the visitors took a 20-12 lead at halftime.

The Gents took back the lead early in the fourth quarter when Garrett crossed the goal line from one-yard out.  He also ran in the two-point conversion to put the Gents ahead 26-23 with just under nine minutes left.

After Eunice went ahead 30-26, the Gents answered to go back in front when junior running back Obadiah Butler took the handoff from Garrett at the CHS 40-yard-line and broke free for the 60-yard score.  Following the missed extra-point, Crowley held the 32-30 lead with 3;34 remaining.

Butler finished as Crowley’s leading rusher with 171 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.  Lewis ran 10 times for 58 yards and two scores.  Garrett completed 9-of-17 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown.  Joseph caught four passes for 112 yards and a touchdown.  Butler caught two passes for 50 yards.  Tyler Carrier had one reception for 14 yards.

Crowley will travel to take on Northwest in another district battle on Friday.

About the Photographer
Madison Navarre, Staff Writer

Hola, my name is Madison Danee’ Navarre. I am 16, and I enjoy reading, writing, eating, sleeping, and taking selfies. I am currently a sophomore at Crowley...