National Honor Society Inducts New Members

Back to Article
Back to Article

Skye Wagers, Staff Writer

Juniors Sophomores Katelyn Hoffpauir, Morgan Babineaux, and Shauna Gaspard were among the 23 four Crowley High School students juniors and 19 sophomores who were inducted into the school’s National Honor Society on May 14.

NHS Sponsors Barbara Groth and Lynn Lockhart invited the three students to join the academic organization.  Students must have a clean discipline record and either at least a 3.5 grade-point average for honors students or a 3.8 GPA for non-honors students in order to be invited.  Membership also costs $25.

Hoffpauir, who currently has a 4.0 GPA this school year, explained what being invited into NHS means. “National Honor Society is honoring the ones with good grades and their hard work.”

She also explained why she accepted the invitation. “I work really hard and deserve to be noticed.”

She mentioned what she will be doing with the organization.  “I will help others with their work.”

Hoffpauir has been a member of Student Council and Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) for two years.  She has also served as a volleyball manager for one year.

She added one final comment.  “Remember to work hard, no matter what is going on, and you will be noticed and appreciated.”

Babineaux, who has a 3.886 GPA, explained what being in NHS means to her.  “It’s an academic organization that is a significant honor and a great personal achievement.

“It looks good when applying for college, you get to participate in activities, and you get things for graduation.”

She also stated some of the activities she will participate in as a member.  “Many community service acts like the kindergarten reading program, tutoring, and helping with Spring Fling.”

Babineaux has been in the band, Key Club, and Student Council for two years.

Gaspard was also invited based on her 3.95 grade-point average and no referrals.   “I am inspired to join because it takes a lot to join, and I should be proud of myself,” she explained.  “It looks good on college applications.”

Gaspard said she and the other members will tutor other students who are in the 10th grade and got invited into National Honor Society by Ms. Lockhart. She had to make good grades to get into the National Honor Society. Gaspard will be helping tutor and do other things that show leadership.

Students who are considered for the National Honor Society must also have a clean discipline record and be willing to pay the $25 application fee.

About the Writer
Skye Wagers, Photo Editor

My name is Skye Wagers and I am 17 years old. I go to Crowley High School. When I graduate I want to go to college to become a nurse. I want to go to LSUE...